1 September 2005
We believe that the Stavanger region has all the elements needed to be a much more popular
tourism and leisure destination, with many hidden jewels which have few visitors today. It
will be the (non-EU) European Capital of Culture in 2008, and we think this could and should
be the perfect opportunity to set up the infrastructure to help visitors see the potential,
and give the local people a focus and feel that they are part of the festival
Please contact us if you have questions or comments.
In the second of our suggestions for 2008, we would like to see "Themed weekends" on as
many weekends as possible in 2008, and beyond.
Each weekend event should:
- use one of the wonderful locations in the area, some of which are under-utilised;
- have food and drink available, show-casing a different country or region's style and culture;
- have music - again, showcasing different styles;
- have demonstrations of different sports, skills, art forms, etc and let people try for themselves;
- help pay for itself by allowing sponsoring companies to market their product or idea;
- should have easy boat or bus access, so that people could get to know that by getting on the
"merry-go-round" boat (suggestion #1) they could get to the event
directly or via a short bus link provided.
Possible locations would include museums (especially ones with limited opening, like Tungenes or
the Graphic Museum), Lundsneset on Hundvåg,
Bymarken near Hommersåk,
Vaulen, Sandvedparken in
Sandnes, Jernaldergården at Ullandhaug,
Landa near Forsand.